Smart Car Test Drive!

Smart Car Test Drive!
Click for Robin's review of this little dandy.

Robin in Television News

Robin in Television News
A trip to Bahrain at the end of the Gulf War was one of her assignments. Those characters were the secret police assigned to keep their eye on her. Fascinating place, the Middle East. Click for more on Robin's years in television.

Liz Taylor's Legacy

Liz Taylor's Legacy
Click for Robin's piece on the best and the worst of Taylor's life in film.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

How Honest Can You Be With an Elderly Parent Who is Ill?

My father is an amazing gardener as he shows in 1998 with his pumpkin crop. He was always hoping he would get one big enough to enter in the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Contest.


My sister and me (I'm in front, she's behind me) and our neighbor Peggy (behind my sister) dressed for Halloween back in those long ago days. It was always cold in the evening in California in October, so we had on several layers of clothes.

My father is so much on my mind this time of year. When we were children, he always walked with us as we went from house to house on Halloween Night. He enjoyed the night--and the candy--as much as we did, and even in the days before parents worried about the safety of their children (the way they do today) it would not have occured to him to to let his little ones wander about of a fall evening without his loving care. One year when I was very small, he walked with us on crutches. He had stepped on a curb in San Francisco, where he worked at an engineering firm, and broke his foot. What a nice guy he was to walk us around even when he had a cast on his foot. And now we care for him. Click on the headline for my blog about honesty and disease and how my sister and I have determined how to handle the truth in a loving way.

No comments:

Post a Comment